Top 5 San Diego 55 and over Communities
Hello, I’m Ken Tritle, Realtor® and Senior Real Estate Specialist at DreamWell Homes Realty. I have been working with many retirees from all over the nation in the past decade and I focus my real estate sales business on San Diego 55+ communities. Based on my work with 55+ housing, I would like to share with you the best 55+ communities in San Diego.
Here are the top five 55+ communities in San Diego from DreamWell Homes Realty.
#1 Ocean Hills Country Club in Oceanside CA
Ocean Hills Country Club ranks as #1 on our list due to many factors.
- Size: with 1,632 homes the community offers residents plenty of social opportunities to meet interesting people to become friends with.
- Safety: the community is gated, guarded and patrolled.
- Sports and Clubs: the OHCC clubhouse is by far the largest in the area at 27,000 square feet, with a large auditorium that is well-used, a library, two fitness gyms, a billiards room with seven tables, numerous multipurpose rooms for meetings, games and crafts, as well as dedicated rooms for art, sewing, computer lab, music rooms, and more. Outdoors you will find a private 18-hole executive golf course for residents and their guests only, a junior olympic, solar heated saltwater pool, eight pickle ball courts, three tennis courts, bocce ball, a dog park, and lots of green spaces. The community also boasts one of the finest woodworking shops in San Diego’s 55+ realm.
- Homes: there are a large variety of different sized homes to fit everyone’s needs, ranging from a little over 900 square feet up to about 2,800 square feet, in both duplexes and detached single family homes completed in 1999.
- Maintenance: the HOA takes care of the front yard landscaping and watering. Home exteriors are also painted by the HOA, and the roofs are maintained by the community as well.
If you are a buyer who wishes to have a true resort-like life, with nearly unlimited opportunities for social engagement, then you should seriously consider Ocean Hills Country Club.
#2 Oaks North in Rancho Bernardo
- Size: with 1,963 homes, Oaks North is another large community to offer plenty of social opportunities. and is comprised of 14 individual 55+ communities, all located beside one another, containing condo and single family detached homes. One of the communities within Oaks North is gated – Chapala. The Chapala community also has many homes on the golf course with beautiful views.
- Sports and Clubs: Oaks North is built surrounding the Oaks North Public Golf Course – an executive 27-hole full-service facility. The Oaks North Community Center has a swimming pool and spa, two saunas, two tennis courts, 3 pickle ball courts, a library, lawn bowling, a fitness gym, ceramics, two billiards tables, and a wood working shop.
- Location: Oaks North is one of the closest 55+ communities to the City of San Diego.
If you are looking for a community with a lot of amenities along with reasonable HOA dues, Oaks North could be for you.
#3 Auberge at Del Sur in San Diego CA
- Community Age: Auberge at Del Sur is one of the newer 55+ communities that San Diego has to offer. Completed in 2020, it consists of 206 attached and single family detached homes of 1,276 to a little over 2,900 square feet in size.
- Safety: Auberge at Del Sur is gated.
- Amenities/Sports: Auberge at Del Sur has a beautiful clubhouse with resort-like amenities. The clubhouse features a gorgeous saltwater pool with dedicated lap swimming lanes, cabanas, fire features and a spa. There are also 3 pickle ball courts, bocce ball, a fantastic fitness gym, outdoor ping pong, two dog parks, a kitchen, a restaurant-style dining room, multi-purpose rooms, and a library.
- Location: Auberge at Del Sur is one of the closest 55+ communities to the City of San Diego.
If you are looking for a newer home, or a smaller sized community that still offers high quality amenities, Auberge at Del Sur could be a contender for you.
#4 Avante at Del Sur in San Diego CA
- Community Age: Completed in 2021, Avante at Del Sur is an active adult gated community, consisting of 120 solar-powered condominium homes.
- Safety: Auberge at Del Sur is a gated community.
- Unique Homes: These traditionally-built condo-style homes feature 2 to 3 bedrooms and range in size from 1,544 to 1,787 square feet, all with attached two car garages. The 1,545 square foot floor plan is a one-story condo, while all the others are two-story units. All of the two-story condos have private in-home elevators in addition to stairs, to get to the second level, which is the main living floor.
- Amenities/Sports: Avante’s amenities include a pool with cabanas and a fire feature, a spa, BBQ area, a small gym with both exercise machines and free weights, and a billiards table. For pet lovers, there is a dog park conveniently located across the street from the community. Sidewalks abound in Del Sur, as do hiking trails, so one could walk for hours daily in our fantastic San Diego sunshine.
- Location: Avante at Del Sur is in a very walkable location with shopping only one block away in a Target and Sprouts Farmers Market anchored shopping center.
Buyers who seek low maintenance, or a lock-and-leave home in a walkable neighborhood, will love Avante at Del Sur.
#5 Villa Trieste in Oceanside CA
- Appeal: Villa Trieste was completed in 1997 and the 150 attractive Mediterranean-style single story twin homes have attached 2 car garages and the condo homes have a detached single-car garage.
- Variety of Home Sizes: available from 1,016 up to 1,993 square feet in size.
- Safety: Villa Trieste is a gated 55+ community.
- Location: Being situated atop a westward facing bluff just 4 miles from the beach, provides residents with the occasional peak ocean view and cooling ocean breezes. Villa Trieste is conveniently located in Oceanside’s coveted Rancho Del Oro area, filled with lots of sidewalks, parks and shopping. Also, just two blocks away is Mira Costa College which offers several senior-friendly educational options.
- Amenities: Villa Trieste’s small clubhouse features a kitchen, large multi-purpose room, a library, a game room, a swimming pool and spa, and a BBQ area.
If you want a quiet but still beautiful home, and a long list of amenities is not your priority, Villa Trieste could be your cup of tea.
Besides these five communities, San Diego has many, many more 55+ options that may be suitable to your specific needs. Reach out to us to discuss what your perfect home might look like and we’ll happily guide you in the right direction.
Please call or text DreamWell Homes Realty at this telephone number 760-798-9024.
Please email Jean and Ken Tritle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Advanced Home Search
Sign up for homes for sale notifications here
No Results Found.