1. How Exactly Are You Going to Make Your Retirement Dreams Come True?
Ideally, don’t wait until you’re retired, or just before, to start making serious plans. Think about it while you’re still working and earning. Once the details are crystalizing in your mind, talk with a local real estate agent and get their input.
2. Where Do You Want to Be?
It should also be where you are most happy!
You’ll likely be dedicating more time to scoping out towns and communities… and we have a lot of specific info that we can provide you by signing up to our newsletter in the form provided below.
3. When Do You Want to Be There?
How old will you be… or in what year do you want to move?
Having a realistic timeframe, without rushing the planning and decisions, helps you avoid skipping important steps and minimizes stress.
4. Why Do You Want This?
Help motivate yourself with what’s important to you.
Are you downsizing, simplifying, moving closer to kids, grandkids, or necessary healthcare?
Don’t just settle for something that sounds nice. Be sure of your decision… that it makes sense for you, and not just to please others or because everyone else is doing it.
An Exercise to Help You Get Started
- Make a List – write down all the things you want to do in your life. Consider what activities interest you… travel, new business, tennis, golf, hiking, biking and visiting/hosting family, etc.
- Research and rank several different communities that seem interesting and fit your interests.
- List the features important to you in the community and in the home itself.
- Include price, community rules and restrictions, locations and proximity to shopping, entertainment, attractions and medical care.
- Include anything useful you learn about the neighbors and members.
- Use a ranking scale of 1-10 – assign a level of importance to each feature. Add up the scores to see which are the best communities.
Create a Master List
Important note… do this with your spouse, so that you each create your own separate lists of rankings. Then compare the two and combine your lists.
Narrow down the best options and eliminate the communities with a low score.
Combine the lists based on the highest rankings to create a master list to work off.
Be sure to do this research in person as you visit potential homes, and when you talk to realtors and other residents. As a starting point, use internet websites and read comments from other retirees and residents.
Also check out DreamWellHomes.com for video tours of 55 and over communities here.
Check out the latest ocean view homes for sale in San Diego County below