Oceanside 55+ Communities
Oceanside 55+ communities offer a wide range of housing styles for seniors. In fact, this northernmost city in the coastal San Diego region contain the best retirement homes since it contains the largest number of 55+ communities in the entire county. From land-leased mobile homes, up to large detached, resident-owned single family homes in private golf communities – all can be found in Oceanside, California.
Oceanside is home to US Marine Corps base Camp Pendleton, one of the iconic California Missions – Mission San Luis Rey, two busy weekly farmer’s markets, the only sailing harbor in north county San Diego, and one of the longest wooden piers, popular with fishermen, on the west coast.
The city also contains award winning wineries, craft breweries and restaurants.
Where to live in Oceanside 55+ Communities
Oceanside is also home to one of San Diego’s premier 55+ communities – Ocean Hills Country Club.
Ocean Hills Country Club (OHCC) is a resident-owned, gated and guarded community which consists of over 1600 Mediterranean inspired homes. O.H.C.C. boasts its own private golf course, tennis, pickle ball and bocce ball courts, junior Olympic-sized pool, spa, a 27,000 square foot clubhouse, a library, a large billiards room, a wide variety of social clubs and activities, and a handful of homes with ocean views. There is RV parking available for residents.
Carrying on with the Mediterranean theme is Villa Trieste, a gated resident-owned 55+ community.
Villa Trieste is made up of two styles of homes: single-level, two bedroom, two bath condos – and – beautifully laid out duplex homes featuring two-car garages, two bedrooms and two baths on the main level, with a spacious loft area on the second level for additional bedroom space if needed. Many of the residents use this area as a den or library. Note that the condos do not have elevators. Villa Trieste has a clubhouse, pool and spa.
All three of these communities consist of duplex homes attached at the center of the single-car garages. The HOA fees range from an unbelievable $2 to $6 per month. There are no clubhouses, pools, spas, amenities or services in these communities.
In the heart of the 78 freeway corridor you will find Pacifica Oceanside Manor, a resident-owned 55+ community consisting of both duplex and single family detached homes.
The home options here are two or three bedrooms and two baths, all with two car garages. The community has a clubhouse, pool, spa, tennis courts, library, billiards and other activities. Nearby, residents will find a host of shopping centers, including Costco and Home Depot. Tri City Hospital is also only a few minutes away.
A few blocks away is the resident-owned, gated 55+ community of Emerald Lake Village.
These manufactured cape-cod style homes have two bedrooms, two baths, a large laundry room with numerous cabinets that can double as a craft room or office, a two car garage and patio spaces. Emerald Lake Village has a clubhouse with billiard room, library, kitchen, pool and spa. There is also a lovely greenbelt in the center of the community to enjoy a peaceful walk. The community provides RV parking for residents.
In the northeast section of Oceanside seniors will find the sprawling, resident-owned Oceana 55+communities.
There are numerous separate Oceana communities, predominately filled with attached single level homes. There is an Oceana condominium complex located along El Camino Real, and even a handful of single story detached homes on some of the ‘spice streets’, named after common kitchen spices. Each Oceana community has a clubhouse and activities for residents. Seniors looking for view homes may want to consider Oceana Mission.
A bit further northeast is Pilgrim Creek Estates, a gated, resident-owned manufactured home park, bordered by Douglas Drive on the south, and the US Marine Base Camp Pendleton on the north.
Pilgrim Creek homes can be two or three bedrooms with two baths. Most of the homes have two-car garages, while some only have a one-car garage, and a smaller number has just a covered carport. Pilgrim Creek Estates has strict pet restrictions – only one small pet is allowed per household. Pets cannot be kept in the yard, nor can they be walked inside of the gated community. This community also offers RV parking.
San Luis Rey Homes, a gated, resident-owned mobile/manufactured 55+ home community, is located just behind the historic Mission San Luis Rey, and is the final resident-owned community in the city of Oceanside. It is important to note that there are no pets allowed in San Luis Rey Homes. Also, this is a co-op park. So those using their VA benefit to purchase a home will need to look elsewhere, or get a different type of loan. In this 55+ community, all of the streets are named after birds – a fact that may come in handy for home buyers to know, as these homes are often confused for those in the similarly named Rancho San Luis Rey, an Oceanside land-leased 55+ park. There is limited RV parking for residents in San Luis Rey Homes.
Regarding Oceanside land-leased parks – besides the above mentioned Rancho San Luis Rey, there are four others within the city, two of which are Laguna Vista (homes centered around eight small lakes) and Trico, which rub shoulders with Rancho San Luis Rey, just off of the northern end of El Camino Real. Rancho San Luis Rey and Laguna Vista offer limited RV parking.
The remaining two land-leased 55+ communities are Rancho Calevero (with RV parking), located in between Pacifica Oceanside Manor and Emerald Lake Village, and Mira Mar, located just off of the North Coast Highway, near the Oceanside Harbor and just two blocks from the beach.
Click here for the latest listings in Oceanside 55+ communities.
We are delighted to hep you here at DreamWellHomes.com.
Watch Videos of Oceanside 55+ Communities
Learn more about Oceanside 55 plus communities by watching our Youtube video tours below.
- Map of San Diego Senior Communities (55 and over)
- Videos of San Diego Senior Communities (55 and over)
- List of San Diego Senior Communities
- Back to DreamWellHomes.com Homepage
Single-Level Living is popular with Seniors, whether it is a low maintenance single story home in a nice community (they could be gated community with amenities (like golf course), or in a nice neighborhood with no HOA, perhaps homes with views, or location near family, hospitals, and convenient shopping) or single story condos (popular for those who just want to lock up and go) with minimal upkeep and accessible features such as elevators. Seniors are also choosing to live in urban settings such as downtown San Diego high-rise condos to lead an active life near all city conveniences/arts/great food and culture, or near the beach, and enjoy the quintessential San Diego beach life-style. What we do know is that you have many choices of where to live and we’d like to help you find the perfect home. If you have made up your mind to move in San Diego, let us help you either buy or sell a home. You may send us a message here or simply call 760-798-9024.
- Find Single Story homes for sale in San Diego (both age-restricted and non-age restricted communities)
- Find single story condos for sale in San Diego (both age-restricted and non-age restricted communities)
Overview of Homes For Sale in Oceanside 55 + Communities
Attached Homes in Oceanside 55 and over communities
Please be sure to click the name of each community to read more detailed information including homes for sale and recently sold homes information.
- Costa Serena – Senior duplex homes with shared driveway and single car garage in each home. Many homes are located on a hill, enjoy ocean breeze, one of the more affordable “stick built” homes in an age-restricted community.
- Ocean Hills Country Club – Offers both attached and detached homes, some with views of the golf course. Resort-style with many community amenities and homeowner benefits which is reflected on the high monthly HOA fee. This is a top-notch 55+ community in Oceanside, CA.
- Oceana – has both attached and detached homes. These are “stick built” homes, you will find many Oceana housing options at Oceana East, Oceana South, and Oceana Mission.
- Pacifica – has both attached and detached homes. These are “stick built” homes with a nice community park and mature trees with a nice community pool, tennis courts, and barbecue area. Nicely located near hospital (Tri-City Medical) and freeway 78.
- Peacock Hills – Senior duplex homes with shared driveway and single car garage in each home. Has an ultra-low HOA, community has side walks, and can walk to nearby restaurants/shops.
- Rancho Hermosa – Senior duplex homes with shared driveway and single car garage in each homes. Like Peacock Hills, Rancho Hermosa also has an ultra-low HOA.
Gated Communities in Oceanside 55 and over communities
- Emerald Lake Village – Cape-code style manufactured homes in a gated 55+ community. Has nice walking paths around the community with mature trees. Ideally located near shopping, hospital, and freeways. Nicely maintained community.
- San Luis Rey – Located near the historic Mission San Luis Rey De Francia. These are manufactured homes with land ownership.
- Ocean Hills Country Club – Please be sure to watch our Ocean Hills Country Club video. This is one of the better known senior golf course community in Oceanside, CA. This is guard-gated with security patrol. Nice grounds with community pool and sports courts and offers residents various social club memberships and activities.
- Pilgrim Creek Estates – This is a popular senior manufactured homes community in Oceanside near the Camp Pendleton military base. You own the land in this Oceanside senior community.
- Villa Trieste – This is a gated senior community with mediterranean-style homes which offers both detached homes and attached homes/condos. This is a very small, low-key community, and near the local community college – Mira Costa College.
Leased Land 55+ Communities with manufactured homes in Oceanside 55 and over communities
- Laguna Vista Mobile Home Estates – Affordable senior mobile home options in Oceanside with monthly space rent.
- Rancho Calevero – Affordable senior mobile home options in Oceanside with monthly space rent.
Resident Owned 55+ Communities with manufactured homes (includes land ownership) in Oceanside 55 and over communities
- Emerald Lake Village – This is a gated senior community in Oceanside CA with detached cape-code style manufactured homes where you own the land.
- Pilgrim Creek Estates – This is a gated senior community with manufactured homes in Oceanside, CA, where you own the land.
- San Luis Rey Homes – This is a gated senior community with manufactured homes in Oceanside Ca. Mission San Luis Rey has one of the lowest monthly HOA (homeowner association) fee, where you own the land.
How to finance the purchase and renovation a home in a senior community
If you are getting a loan to buy and don’t have available funds to make improvements, be sure to ask your lender for purchase renovation loans that allows you to finance putting in an upgraded kitchen, flooring, etc. on the home you are buying before you move in. You may of course pay for the home purchase and renovation all in cash, or use a reverse mortgage with up to 50% downpayment.
As newer senior buyers and homeowners begin updating their homes to make them aging-in-place friendly and perhaps more modern and comfortable, the options for future senior buyers will have better turn key choices. But for now, buyers will need to have a realistic expectation as far as the type and condition of homes that are available in the 55 and over communities in Oceanside, or for this matter, the entire San Diego County.
May we have a real estate agent help you with your choices of homes in both age-restricted and non age-restricted communities? Please contact us here by filling out this form with a detailed message. You may also call us at 760-798-9024. Thank you.