Where are the best places to retire in San Diego?
When getting to know people in San Diego, you will quickly see a trend. Very few are actually from there! Almost everyone you’ll meet is a transplant from somewhere else. And this makes perfect sense. Living in San Diego simply brings the best options to the table, especially when considering your retirement future.
San Diego – The Best of the Best Places to Retire
Thanks to a mediterranean climate with 267 sunny days per year… surrounded by over 70 miles of beaches and mountains to the east… limitless activities and recreations… and diverse neighborhoods… who wouldn’t want to live here?
- Over 90 golf courses
- Hiking, biking and climbing
- Surfing, swimming, kayaking
- Sailing, boating, fishing
- Wine country
- 10 Las Vegas-style casinos
- Diverse arts & cultural offerings
- San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, Legoland and Disneyland
- Padres and Chargers professional sports teams
- A vibrant downtown – Gaslamp District
- 20 major universities and community colleges
- International airport, located in downtown San Diego
California’s 2nd largest city is a “playground” spread out over 4,200 square miles.
A comfortable home in a safe community… a great place to connect with family… staying active… all in a nearly perfect climate… and with a huge selection of affordable homes, retirement in San Diego will lead you to the “best home of your life.”
Rest assured you’re in good hands.
With top ranked healthcare facilities, the San Diego medical community provides the best care available.
Access to Affordable Homes & Affordable Retirement
Demand for retirement housing is definitely on the rise as more baby boomers come into retirement age. According to Forbes.com, baby boomers make up ¼ of the US population, and the number of retirees will jump by 10 million over the next decade.
But what’s even more exciting for retirees is that retirement homes are affordable and available across San Diego county. You’ll find a wide variety of styles, amenities and price ranges to choose from… with options to fit any retirement budget!
Here are some San Diego retirement housing options available:
- Gated retirement communities including custom-built homes
- Gated Communities with Detached Single Story Homes – View homes for sale including those innon-age restricted communities
- Duplex homes & Condominium communities
- Detached single story homes on private lots
- Independent and assisted living communities
- Continuing care communities offering meals and housekeeping services
- Community housing apartments, with studios, 2 and 3 bedrooms and cottages
- Mobile and manufactured home communities
- New and resale manufactured homes
Downsizing or Upsizing
Retiring in San Diego gives you the special chance to find your “best home.” Moving out of a bigger home into something smaller or moving into a larger, more comfortable place… both options bring different factors and benefits to think about:
- Downsizing from a larger home to avoid unnecessary burdens
- Free up cash from the sale of your current home
- Lower monthly expenses
- Cut home maintenance, hassles and years of clutter
- Reduce empty space, adult children who’ve left the nest
- Upsizing – having a larger, more comfortable or prestigious home
- More room for family members to visit, enjoy holidays and vacations together
- A way to live with family: children & grandchildren… together under one roof
- Hosting friends and neighbors more regularly
Finding the home of your dreams
55 + Communities
Typically the best opportunities are specific, but not limited to, communities designed for retirees, pre-retirement aged people, 55 years and older.
Most include features like clubhouses, tennis courts, pools and spas. Many are golf course communities that may have gated security and 24-hour security patrol services. Some also include libraries, billiard tables, exercise gyms, steam rooms, RV parking space, pet allowance and more.
Home Owners Associations – HOA Fees
Fees vary depending on the community and the services offered. Some include: cable TV service, sewer service, water & trash.
Other communities include roof maintenance, exterior house painting, access to exercise facilities, front yard maintenance, lush & extensive common area landscaping, unlimited golf, and emergency response to pre-wired alarms in each home.
Even though these properties are in demand, the current inventory includes numerous options… ranging from the high $100k’s to $700k and over. Fluctuations are based on the construction date, the size and style, the amenities offered and the distance from the coast line.
You can find listings in 42 North San Diego County 55 + communities, with detailed information, photos and videos here at DreamWellHomes.com.
No doubt the pace of life for most retirees slows downs into the 70’s and 80’s. In this 2nd phase of retirement, regular care and assistance with daily tasks is a bigger concern. This particular stage of life and the healthcare needs that follow place an even greater importance on where you live.
Trends have shifted and less retirees are moving into nursing homes. Instead more are continuing to live at home into their latter years. “Aging Ready Homes” come equipped with features like:
- No-step entry
- Single floor living
- Extra-wide hallways & doors
- Accessible electrical controls
- Lever-style handles on doors & faucets
- Bathroom safety features
- Accessible countertops & cabinets
Source: Merrill Lynch: “Home in Retirement: More Freedom, New Choices”
With the right planning you can get all the necessary help to continue living independently at home. San Diego county is loaded with custom-fit options for healthcare at home. Such communities offer varying levels of nursing care and general support but also include frequent community activities and opportunities for wellness and social engagement.
Customized Advice & Expertise
No doubt you have a lot to consider in this major life change. Avoid wasting time, money and unnecessary stress. Only proven real estate agents with specialized expertise will do. Generally you should interview 3 more realtors before moving forward.
You should work directly with real estate experts in the 55 + San Diego retirement communities… real estate agents with proven track records working in the specific neighborhoods and retirement communities that interest you.
Make sure you have a clear expectation and understanding of what your new life will look like. Your agent needs to help you understand all the particular details and requirements of the various properties.
- Scrutinizing financial records of the homeowner associations
- Explaining the approval process and requirements for new residents
- Exploring club membership options and costs
- Researching community restrictions and rules
- Taking a deeper look at the activities and event calendars
- Clarifying services – details for caretakers, maintenance, repairs and security services
We are Specialists in the San Diego Retirement Community
Rest assured that you’re not the 1st person to be worried, stressed or confused about making such a huge transition and financial transaction.
Our real estate team and partners highlight every aspect of this major life event. They’ll walk you through each step and help you manage the decision making process… convering every possible detail along the way.
As certified Senior Real Estate Specialists SRES®, the partner agents you work with has the experience to counsel clients age 55+ through major financial and lifestyle transitions in relocating, purchasing a home, or selling the family home.
They’re locals, who know the areas… the streets… the neighborhoods. Experts with a warm and friendly touch, who truly listen and take the time to get to know you. They know what they’re talking about and have built a reputation on service and trust.
No matter what stage you’re at in the process, they’ll help you handcraft your dream retirement lifestyle. They’ve guided retirees just like you through all the nuances of choosing and customizing a retirement future.
Hear from retirees and other satisfied homeowners who’ve chosen Dreamwell Homes.
See for yourself! Click here to see your potential San Diego retirement life.
In addition, see a list of best practices and FAQs to help you gets started…
- Buying and Selling a home at the same time – not impossible, nor should you hesitate to get moving – Find out here.
- How to prepare your house to sell, before it goes on the market – Learn more.
- How to determine the right price to sell your home quickly – Click here.
- How is the San Diego Housing market these days? HomeDex Report.
- How much are Real Estate commissions in San Diego? Learn about commisions and how to save!
For more information and a free consultation please contact the Dreamwell Homes team directly. You may send us a message here or simply call 760-798-9024.
Tags: Thinking about where to retire? In San Diego you’ll find a retirement paradise. Not just “old age homes,” but affordable homes in vibrant 55 + communities and senior living options, custom-fit to your needs, affordable homes, old age homes, where to retire, retirement planning, affordable retirement, retirement community, San Diego Retirement communities, adult living, best places to retire